There are many times when you might need to get a vehicle from one destination to another but it’s not feasible for you to drive it yourself. In this instance, it may be suitable to look at car transportation services. As more and more people have turned to online car buying, the demand for auto transport services has increased. There are also more options available than ever before. Traditional car transport companies use fleets of trucks and trailers to haul vehicles from one place to another. Today, there is another full-service transport service available known as driveway auto services. Driveway auto services are different from traditional car shipping because a professional driver physically drives your vehicle from one location to another rather than shipping it on a trailer.
The Pros and Cons of Using Driveway Auto Services
Like any other auto transportation service, there are pros and cons involved with using a driveway transport service. It is important to learn about the advantages and disadvantages so you decide which option will best suit your needs. For some, a driveway auto service may be the perfect choice while others might prefer traditional auto transport.
Pros of Using Driveway Services
- Faster Shipping- Since your car is being driven by an actual driver as opposed to being placed on a trailer, it will be delivered much faster than traditional transport services. Your car is picked up at an agreed upon location and driven directly to its destination. There is no waiting for other cars to be loaded and unloaded and there is no stopping along the way to deliver other vehicles. Your vehicle will be driven directly to its destination as quickly and safely as possible.
- It is delivered directly to your door- Since there is no need for a large trailer to have to navigate to your location, your vehicle will easily be delivered directly to your door. No matter your location, you don’t have to worry about picking up your car from a terminal or pick-up location.
- You may have the option to transport personal items- With traditional transport services, you are not allowed to transport personal items inside your vehicle. However, since your vehicle is being driven by an actual driver, this may be allowed. You will need to discuss what is and isn’t allowed to be transported inside the vehicle with the actual driver prior to pick up. In many instances, you will be permitted to fill your trunk with personal belongings and you might even be permitted to transport a pet.
Cons of Using Driveway Services
- It is more expensive- As you might expect, this personalized service does typically cost more. Since you aren’t splitting the costs like you would if multiple cars were being shipped, it will be a more expensive option than traditional car shipment.
- Wear and tear on your vehicle- Perhaps the biggest drawback to driveway service is the fact that you are putting additional mileage and wear and tear on your vehicle. This is something to consider if you are transporting a luxury or antique vehicle.
- Risk of damage to your vehicle- Granted, your vehicle will be exposed to the outdoor elements if it is shipped on an open trailer but it is subject to additional damage since it will be driven on the open road. You always have the possibility of a flat tire, a cracked windshield from flying debris, or the risk of an accident. For this reason, this is typically a better option for those who are transporting a car a shorter distance as opposed to a cross-country drive.
It is important to consider all of these factors when deciding whether or not driveway service is right for you. It is also important to thoroughly research the shipping company to make sure they are properly licensed and insured. Doing your due diligence can help protect your vehicle.