If you are preparing your car for shipment, there are a few things you should do to ensure everything goes well with your transport. Although it is not expected, accidents and issues occur, and you want to be sure you and your vehicle are protected in the case of an emergency. Here are some simple steps you can take to properly prepare your vehicle for shipment.
Inspecting Your Car Before Shipping
- Declutter Your Car– This is the first thing you should do to prepare your car for inspection. Be sure to clean out the inside of your car and remove all personal belongings. It is important to clean and declutter the interior of your vehicle so you can take note of the condition of your vehicle prior to shipment.
- Wash Your Car– The next thing you should do is wash the exterior of your vehicle. A quick wash is important so you can remove dirt to see if there are any scratches or dings.
- Take Pictures- This is an important step, so you definitely don’t want to skip it. You should take pictures of your car from every angle as well as the interior and even the engine. Make a note of any scratches, dents, dings, or other damage before turning your car over to the transport company. Make sure your pictures include a time-stamped date or even take them with the driver in the background in case you need proof that the pictures are current.
In addition to your inspection, the auto shipping company is required to perform their own inspection to protect themselves against fraudulent claims. They are going to thoroughly inspect your vehicle, so it is recommended that you be present during this inspection.
Inspecting Your Car After Shipment
- Compare with Your Photos– Examine the interior and exterior of your vehicle as carefully as possible and compare any scratches or dings with your photos to make sure they weren’t already present.
- Check for Damages– Inspect for damage on exterior mirrors, door handles, cracks on the glass or windshield, and check all tires. Open and close all doors, roll your windows up and down, and check all locks to make sure they are working properly.
- Test Drive- Give your car a quick test drive to make sure it is running properly and listen for any unusual noises.
Upon delivery of your vehicle, you should thoroughly inspect your vehicle for damage that may have occurred during transport. You can use the Ship A Car Direct Damage App to document your car’s condition both before and after shipment. Our free app is available for download on iOS and Android.