Classic cars are usually a prized possession for their owners. These unique vehicles often carry more than just monetary value, but also sentimental value for the owner who is passionate about the vehicle. For this reason, it is important to take the utmost care when choosing how to transport your classic car. Whether you are moving, taking your car to a show, or looking to sell your classic car, it is essential to find a carrier that has the right equipment, expertise, and knowledge to ship a classic car safely.
How to Choose an Auto Transport Company for Your Classic Car
If you have a strong financial and sentimental investment in your classic car, not just any auto transport company will do. In fact, it is important to do plenty of research to choose an auto transport company that specializes in the shipment of classic cars. Here are a few tips for choosing an auto transport company:
- Do plenty of research. This includes reading customer reviews, checking with the Better Business Bureau, and even checking the company’s driving history and safety records with the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)
- Compare rates and services. Be on the lookout for a company whose prices are drastically different from the rest. Oftentimes, if a price seems too good to be true it probably is.
- Check to make sure the company is properly licensed, registered, and insured.
- Make sure they have the right equipment and expertise to ship a classic car.
What Services to Look for in Classic Car Transport
When booking your classic car transport, you want to look for a company that offers the following services:
- Recommendations from a reputable source: Before loading your prized vehicle onto a carrier, you want to be sure they have the proper knowledge and expertise to ship your car safely. Ask for recommendations from resources such as museums, auction companies, car restorers, or local car collectors.
- Proof of Insurance: You definitely want to make sure your vehicle will be insured during transport.
- Enclosed Transport: While open carriers are most common among traditional vehicles, enclosed carriers are a safer option for classic cars. Though it will cost you a bit more, enclosed carriers keep your classic car completely shielded from the outdoor elements. This is the best way to ensure your classic car remains in pristine condition.
- Door-to-Door Delivery: This option is not only convenient, but it is also the safest option and will ensure your vehicle is picked up and delivered straight to you.
- GPS Tracking: Another great feature to look for is GPS tracking. This feature allows you to check your vehicle’s location so you can receive real-time updates on delivery times.
How to Prepare Your Classic Car for Shipment
Once you have chosen an auto transport company for your classic car, there are steps you should take to prepare your car for shipment.
- Wash your car and inspect it for any dings, dents, or scratches. Take time-stamped pictures and make a note of any damage. This will help with any damage claims should that problem arise.
- Provide written instructions to the driver about anything in regards to operating your classic car.
- You should have no more than a half tank of fuel in your vehicle and make sure the battery is fully charged.
- Remove all personal items from inside the vehicle.
- Read and understand all of the terms of your contract agreement prior to shipment.